The Gastric Band is a small inflatable band that fits around the top of your stomach which means you do not need to eat as much food to feel full. This then helps you to lose weight.
When the band is inflated it creates a small upper stomach pouch and a narrowed outlet, limiting the stomach’s capacity to intake food and increasing the feeling of fullness. The combination of these two effects normally results in significant weight loss. You will need to attend follow up consultations with your surgeon and a dietician to monitor your progress and your weight loss. It is also likely that during the first two years you will require to have band fill adjustments made as your weight profile changes. A band fill appointment is where Elanic's specialist nurse injects liquid into the tube connected to the band; this is adjusted to ensure you lose weight continuously as your body and weight changes.
Who Is Suitable For A Gastric Band?
- A gastric band is suitable for those who have a significant amount of weight to lose and who may also be suffering from weight related complications, such as high blood pressure.
- Generally, it is suitable for those who have a BMI of 40 or 35+ if you have an additional weight-related condition. This would be discussed with your surgeon at consultation.
- You do have to be in general good health as with all surgical procedures. Again, this is at the discretion of your surgeons and will be discussed at the consultation.
- The gastric band is an excellent way to lose a significant amount of weight. However, you must be prepared to follow a healthy diet and exercise routine where appropriate.
How Much Weight Will I Lose?
- Weight loss is very individual, with a gastric band you can expect to lose half your excess weight over two years. Please note everyone is individual and this will vary from person to person.
- A healthy diet and exercise regimen will assist in your weight loss from the gastric band.
Recovery From A Gastric Band
- Gastric Band is carried out as a day case surgery in most cases, you will be able to go home the same day.
- You must have someone to come and collect you and to remain with you for the remainder of the day.
- We would recommend you take at least a week off from work and please discuss a return to exercise or strenuous activity with your nurse or surgeon post-procedure.
- Elanic provides you with adequate pain relief and access to a 24-hour help line if you have any concerns post surgery.
- You will have to attend appointments with the dietician and band fill nurse after surgery.
If you would like to book in for a Gastric Band consultation or you have any further questions please call the clinic on 0141 332 5106 or contact us online.